Friday 25 May 2012

Ahhh relaxation...well for a little while anyway.......


Today has been a good day, I've handed in the penultimate piece of work for my MA, my next deadline isn't until 1st October and between now and then I get to indulge in some full on, proper, historical research in actual archives....yes, this excites me very much and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'm also getting the chance to catch up on some non-Uni reading, which is a treat after the last few months of hard graft. I want to mention the two books I've just finished reading. They're both by Alastair Humphries, and are the story of how he rode around the world; it only took him 4 1/2 years! The first is called Mood of Future Joys, and the second is Thunder and Sunshine. Now I picked these up from the library and thought I'd give them a try - and I loved them. His undertaking (for charity) was huge and the experiences he had were amazing. I really recommend the books, which aren't a detailed, day by day account, but simply recount his experiences (or some of them). 

I had a lovely time with my friend J today, sitting in the sunshine and chatting...bliss.... It really brought home to me just how often we assume that we're the only people going through a particular experience (especially parent/child ones) and how wrong that is. It's not that I want other people to have children who answer back, or speak rudely, or disobey, but knowing that I'm not alone in experiencing it is a relief. As is the realisation that my reactions are also common. I like to think that when I was A's age, I wasn't as badly behaved as he is (stop sniggering at the back Mum (and you Dad)..) but the reality is that I probably was, and that we all got through it eventually. I remember saying to my parents, on several occasions, "I won't say that to my children"...umm yes, well, errrrr, that turned out to be a mistaken assumption....I regularly bring out those oldies-but-goodies, "because I said so", "you've got to the count of 5", "don't use that tone of voice to me", and my particular favourite "I'm not discussing this anymore".... Ah well, A regularly tells me that he won't say that to any children he may have - a statement which usually results in slightly hysterical laughter on my part...

It may have been HOT today but that didn't put me off cycling, although maybe it should have done... I'm pleased that I cycled, rather than taking the bus but I did not enjoy being stuck in traffic, inhaling fumes and nearly keeling over from the heat...lesson learnt - take notice of the time and go the back route if necessary.... Mind you, when I was in the lift at Uni, I mistakenly looked in the mirror and saw a large, red-faced, sweaty lump looking back at me...it's not nice to be confronted with the reality of how others see you but it did spur me on, I will not be this person forever. I'm so grateful for all the support I've received. This blog isn't just a place for me to practice (and hopefully improve) my writing skills, it's a way of ensuring that I do what I'm setting out to do - after all, if I've put it out there on the internet, someone will call me on it if give up...at least I hope they will.... 

Right, time to watch some telly and relax..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment