Saturday 26 May 2012

Hot, sunny...and surprisingly productive


So far, today has been a very good day... The sun has shone, the cats have behaved themselves, I've managed to get some Uni work done and *drumroll* I've even done 3 loads of laundry... *pats self on back* ... Frankly I'm happy to put up with being hot and icky, if only for the fact that the great, huge pile of towels/duvet covers/sheets which was glowering at me every time I went into the garage (honest it was) is finally gone.... I never ever thought I'd feel this good about doing laundry, but there you go...you learn something new every day...well I do anyway...

I'm not sure that the cats are enjoying this weather quite as much as I am....they have spent most of the day skulking around in the shade, and looking very sorry for themselves....Mind you, the moment I stood up they were round my feet, meowing for food - some things never change..... Last night Molly-cat decided that she wanted to lie on top of me as I lay in bed..now normally this wouldn't be a problem (apart from when she decides to stick her nose in my ear, or try to groom me - but that's another matter), only last night it was HOT - the layout of the house means that my bedroom on the same level as a loft would be in other houses..and as we all know, heat rises...so by the time I crawled up to bed, my room was like a sauna (yes, the window was open)... So there I am, pushing Molly off, only for her to climb back on - it took about 5 minutes for her to get bored with that game and go off to torment her brother/chase frogs/break into the kitchen.... Phew, the relief...except Purdy-cat (who is convinced I am her mother) chose to sleep pressed close to my legs... It's a good job I love my cats, it really is....

Today I've managed to get some preparatory reading done for my PhD proposal, which need to be made more 'original' (hate that word) and re-submitted. I'm hoping to look at crime during the nineteenth-century, how it was portrayed in the media, how that related to the culture/rules/social mores of the time - using 6 case studies... I think it's a great idea, and it probably is - but as with so much these days, it has to be original, fill a niche, take the *shudder* historiography on...don't get me wrong, I love all that stuff but it's really really frustrating trying to find that teeny angle in which to fit my work....Luckily for me I've got a lot of support, and am meeting with the Prof this week to chat about it... I know I can write an awesome thesis on this topic, I just want the chance to do it...let's hope it works out.

I'm reading a new book today...it's a special one for me, in several ways. Firstly it's written by my mentor (well I consider her to be my mentor anyway), Maureen Wright. Maureen has taught me from my first year as an under-grad and she is amazing. She was a 'mature' student as well, and I am following her route through, in fact she is my role model in that respect. I'm very very fortunate to have received so much support and help from her, I definitely wouldn't be where I am today without her help and support. Anyway, she's written a book about Elizabeth Wolstenholme Elmy, a nineteenth-century feminist/suffrage/education for women activist (I'm not doing her justice, I know) and I've finally got around to reading it. It's a fantastic book. I, and any other women who has received a secondary school/college/university education owe this to Mrs Elmy. She pushed and pushed for women to have the same access to education as men did, and over 100 years later, I'm reaping the benefits of her actions. I can't do her justice here, but I highly recommend the book - it's called Elizabeth Wolstenholme Elmy and the Victorian Feminist Movement: The Biography of An Insurgent Woman.

The 'diet' is going well. I put it like that because it's not an official diet, I'm not doing WW or anything like that. I've simply cut down and cut out, and what I am eating is healthy rather than junk. Previously when I've dieted, and followed an official diet, I've been so stressed out - counting calories/points/grams etc. and ultimately I've failed. This way, the pressure is off, well a bit anyway. I'm enjoying it, because it's rewarding and because I'm not starving myself. For example, dinner today was grilled chicken, mixed veg and a jacket potato with a tiny amount of low-fat marg....yummy and filling... A month ago I would have had huge amounts of pasta, cheese and butter.... equally yummy and filling but fattening and much more food than I really need. I just need to keep this up, and although it was too hot to cycle today I'm hoping that I'll get a ride in tomorrow as the forecast is for it to be a bit (!!) cooler... We'll see.....................

Right, enough from me....it's too hot to have the laptop on anymore, and I've got a book to read....

Enjoy the sunshine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment