Thursday 6 September 2012

Back to school......

Well....it's been an eventful few days, that's for sure... Some of it fun, some it not so fun...

Monday was lovely, A and I went to see J and her family, which was just what we needed. J and I went for a lovely bike ride, down to the seafront. It was so hot, and sunny and was just lovely to be able to sit on a bench and chat for a while... L (J's hubbie) was looking after the kids at home, which was nice of him.... :D


Being able to get out, and just enjoy the good weather, and catch up with J, was just what the doctor ordered....When we got back, the kids were all on the trampoline, and so we spent some time watching them bounce like Tigger and carry out all sorts of weird routines, all the time screaming with laughter (them, not us).... meanwhile 2 of the 4 bunnies were wandering round the garden, selecting from the salad bar (J's plants and flowers), pausing only to take shelter under the trampoline - which they did regularly, seemingly unconcerned by the screaming, bouncing kids above them.... yeah, it was a good time... :)

J helped me to try on my dress for the Jack Marshall Brain Tumour Fund Ball, oooh it's exciting.... Most importantly, the dress fits, although I think I may need to procure some extra support for one part of my anatomy...I love the way I look, and am tempted to put up a pic now, but I've decided to wait until I'm all properly dolled up so that you can get the full effect :D 

Whilst I was trying on the dress, J noticed that I've got a mole on my back....now 4 years ago when I was on holiday in Majorca with A, I was badly sunburned. It was my own fault, I didn't get someone to put sun cream on my back, and as a result, on my first day there I burnt, even though I was wearing a t-shirt. It was so bad that I had to go to the chemist, and was lucky in that over there, you can get stuff from the chemist which is normally (over here) only provided at hospital - so I had creams, wipes, special gauze and bandages. Poor A had to change the dressings every day.... Anyway, ever since then I've been worrying about the consequences, and recently even more so as my back has been itching.... so when J pointed out the mole, I have to be honest I did feel sick and worried. She took a pic for me and that didn't ease my mind at all.... However, I have an appointment at the docs tomorrow (thought it was today, nearly went before I realised that my phone reminder hadn't gone off, and when I checked it turns out I would have been a day early - see that's why I put reminders in my phone, lol)....so I will ask the doc to look at it, and will go from there...trying not to worry too much....

So that was Monday, a good day spent with wonderful friends .. but Tuesday was *ominous drum roll* A's first day back at school.....actually, it didn't go too badly, he went off ok and said he had a good day... I was pleased, but not smug because I know that he will start off ok, but then as reality hits, he'll be more inclined to refuse to go in. I emailed his head of year, and explained our concerns about the lack of support for A since the school was restructured. She rang me and was really helpful. It was agreed that although the ladies who'd been helping A are now in another area, they will continue to be there for him - as just knowing that he has somewhere to go and someone to talk to will often help him...also the counselor is back from maternity leave soon, so he'll be able to see her... He's also being referred to MABs (multi agency behavior support) which is normally for those who are being excluded, but his head of year thinks that they will help him because they're geared towards helping kids stay in school. They will find out what triggers his fears, and hopefully give him a way to deal with them. Fingers crossed that they accept him. 

Wednesday morning he wasn't as keen to go in, said he had a headache...but when he realised that I wasn't going to let him miss school, he did go in without any further hassle....Today, he went further - claiming to be dizzy, sick and to have diarrhea....again, I wasn't having any of it (and his dad confirmed that he'd been fine when he'd left the flat), so I waited him out, told him he'd have to face the consequences of missing school...he did go in, late, but at least he went in.... Tomorrow he's going in from his dads flat, so fingers crossed he goes in ok and I don't get a text saying he's not turned up....

Now, apart from the fun of getting A into school, yesterday was an interesting day as well.... J and I went into town to do some shopping....we had a great time, right up until the point when I came out of Tesco and slipped on some liquid (at one point I thought it was wee, thankfully it was lemonade) and went down like a sack of spuds....OUCH...and also proper embarrassing - especially when I promptly burst into floods of tears....I twisted my left ankle and landed with a proper whack on my bad knee...my pride was also hurt, needless to say.... I managed to get up, but was in a lot of pain...ended up sat on a chair, with the Tesco first-aider holding a bag of frozen peas onto my ankle..... I felt like an exhibit in a zoo, people were actually stopping to stare at me...it was insane, J told me that she had to bite her lip to stop herself giving those gawkers a piece of her mind... The store manager turned up, and J told me later that there were lots of worried looks being exchanged between the staff...not surprisingly.... I was told to go and get checked out at the local treatment centre, so I called a taxi and off we went (no, Tesco did not offer to pay, or even to call the cab, although they did call 999 initially, and did insist I get checked out - I also had to speak to someone at their incident department...). Long story short, I was just badly bruised....and yes, I could tell that - I'm achy and in a lot of pain still...have been told not to cycle for a few days, and to rest up...so that's why I went into Waterlooville library today, and am going to the docs tomorrow followed by opticians and hair dressers...lol... but I'll rest once I've done that...

I'm going to write to Tesco's - I'm cross that they didn't clear up the spillage, especially as there was a security guard nearby... So we'll see what comes of that.....

Now I'm sitting on the sofa, with a purdy cat on my legs.... I have to be honest and say that since I fell over yesterday, I've felt lousy in mind as well as in body.... It was horrible to fall, humiliating as well as painful, and as for crying in front of people, well that didn't help either...but mostly it seems to have knocked me into a bit of a blah mood...I feel tense, emotional, exhausted, upset, and mostly just blah - not a technical term I know, and the best definition I can give is that I'm carrying on, but I'm not necessarily taking pleasure in things... I'll speak to the doc tomorrow, but for now I'm just trying to distract myself with books and the cats, until the feeling passes.... One good thing is that I've had the save the date card for my cousin S and her fiance A's wedding.....not till next year but woohoooo....so excited.... can't wait.... :)

Right, I'm off to bury myself in the world of chick-lit... 

1 comment:

  1. You should put in your letter to tescos that if proper compensation isn't made then you'll be taking 'further action' ie through the national accident helpline or something. that's not on! x

    ReplyDelete