Sunday 16 September 2012

Going to the Ball, and having a ball

ahhhhh what an AMAZING weekend.......wow wow wow..... I'm totally shattered now, and feeling a bit blue that it's all over...but it was so worth it.... I was a princess and I went to the ball, I didn't find my prince but I met some fabulous people.... *big happy smiley face*


I can't actually remember when I last blogged, so apologies for that...the last few days have been a blur of organising and travelling.... On Friday afternoon I went across to Southampton by train, so that I could stay at R's house and be ready to leave bright and early on Saturday to go up to Scunthorpe... we had a lovely relaxing evening, albeit slightly stressed by the fact that G, R's boyfriend, was stuck at work and we had no idea how late he would get back....as it turned out, it was about 3am I think...poor G...

So we didn't leave quite as early as we'd originally planned to...meaning that we had a slightly more leisurely start than I thought we would (still managed to leave things behind tho...lol)... The journey up was fairly good....it took over 4 hours, including stopping twice for, ahem, comfort breaks, but it went quicker than I expected it to. The weather was gorgeous all the way up, so I got to see England in all her glory, the countryside was gorgeous and even being on the motorway wasn't too bad. Finally, at about 3pm, we arrived in Scunthorpe and I finally got to meet J, my lovely forever friend.... it's so good when you finally get to meet people who have become really important to you... J is definitely one of those people, and she made me so welcome... I also got to meet C, her beautiful daughter, and A, her gorgeous toddler son, as well as Rosie and Bubble her two dogs....my other friends B and N were already there...so it was a houseful.... The next few hours were spent chatting, drinking tea and finally getting ready for the ball.......

Now, I love history and particularly the 19th century, but I think we can safely say that I never, and I mean never, would have been happy living during that time.....and the reason for that is clear - being laced into ones dress is not fun..... Anyone who has ever seen the film Titanic will remember the scene where Kate W is being laced into her dress and holds onto the bed whilst her mother yanks on the straps...yeah, that scene was recreated not once, but FOUR times last night as J, C, B and I were all laced up tightly..... we looked amazing, if I say so myself, but it was effort and I for one was very hot and bothered once we were done.... Then it was into the cab and off to the hotel.......

The room looked amazing.....


And there were plenty of reminders about why were were there....


When I walked in and saw all these posters on the walls it was hugely emotional....some of the pictures were ones I'd not seen before and they got me....Jack was such an amazing little boy, and that was demonstrated last night when over 100 people came together and raised masses of money in his name, in recognition of him, in order to help others who are going through what the Marshall's went through...

The whole evening was fantastic...the food was delicious, the auction raised lots of money, the Freddie Mercury tribute act was amazing, the raffle was brilliant (I bought two tickets, one won!) and the dancing was so much fun....yes, I got up and danced even though I hadn't had a drop to drink....have never had so much fun in all my life.... It was exhausting, and I ended up with a headache because I got dehydrated, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.... Yes I had a couple of moments of panic, because it was an unknown place, and there were so many people there, many of whom I didn't know, but those moments soon passed and I can honestly say that I was so sad when it was all over.... I have to say that the Ball was superbly organised...the raffle had some amazing prizes - a bike for example...and I won a gorgeous bracelet...they also had a sweetie 'bar' where we could help ourselves to flying saucers, sour apples, flumps, strawberry hearts etc.etc....

The evening ended with the balloons from each table being released for Jack.....


Today, after a good nights sleep, and a lovely breakfast of a sausage sandwich, it was time to make our way home.....journey home was uneventful, and the cats were suitably pleased to see me...As was A, although I do think that the sweets I'd got for him from the Ball may have had something to do with it.... So here we are....I'm sad that it's all over, and really looking forward to when I can go back up and see everyone again....I've got some amazing friends in Jack's Army and I'm lucky to know them.... In the meantime, I have to get back to the mundane day to day life, sorting A out, signing on, job hunting and working on my dissertation.....


*********************************************************************************

Following on from my last blog post, I wanted to let you know that Wash passed away just before midnight on the 11th September, Arizona time.... He is remembered with so much love and affection, and I know that he is missed all over the world.. He is now in his own personal TARDIS, flying the universe, time and space, checking out the great unknown.... An amazing man, who deserves to be remembered... RIP Wash... may your travels be full of awe and wonder

2 comments:

  1. what to say i praise of this blog, which contains a lot of amazing information as well as the thoughtful writes. AC Milan Tickets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post! I initially found your blog a week or so ago, and I want to subscribe to your RSS feed. AC Milan Tickets

    ReplyDelete