Wednesday 13 June 2012

London Calling......

Well today has definitely been a much much better day.....Even if I am totally exhausted and flaked out on the sofa at the moment... I'd forgotten just how much I love to visit London. I don't think I'd like to live there but to visit is so much fun. Today has been so much fun, in so many ways and the smile is firmly back on my face... :D

I managed to get a fairly early train, and so even though it was delayed slightly I was still at Waterloo by 11:30...Good journey up as well, as I put my headphones on and listened to Queen all the way. I love Queen, certain songs remind me of good times, others remind me of Jackamo - I did have to look intently out of the window when 'Only the good die young' came on.....it resonates with me because of Jack....

Getting across London was easy as well, and the 30 min tube journey went quickly...Walking from Kew Gardens Station was pleasant - so many lovely gardens to look at...not to mention that the sun was actually out..amazing.. The National Archives are set in lovely grounds....
Lake at the front of the National Archives, London

I was able to sit out by the lake and eat my packed lunch (yes, I know, very 'school trip'..lol) and I got stupidly excited by the fact that there was ducks, swans and cygnets on said lake....you can tell I'm a city girl who doesn't see much wildlife can't you....
Swan and cygnets on the lake

Going into the Archives was also exciting, and once I figured out how it all worked, I really enjoyed getting stuck into some proper research...Was seriously impressed with the fact that they don't charge for photography, and rather than photocopying documents they have cameras set up on proper stands so that you can take images which are then emailed to you. I'm definitely excited about going up again on Friday, especially as I won't have to wait for 40 mins for documents to be delivered as I can now order in advance...All in all it was well worth going, as a historian it was fantastic to be able to hold original documents in my hand...I saw letters from PM's and army reports from the 1870s...the Archives have done an amazing job to keep these documents in such good condition...it would be nice if people's hand-writing wasn't so appalling, lol...deciphering some of the letters/reports is going to be headache inducing...ah well, it's all part of the fun... I'd recommend that everyone should go to the Archives at least once - it's got so much of our history there and I bet you'll find something relevant to you/your family/your interests.... 

I ended up staying until they shut which was great - except that this meant I was travelling back during rush hour....and sadly I was travelling with people who'd obviously forgotten that when you sneeze/cough you really should put a hankie, or at least your hand, in front of your face... If I come down with something I'm blaming it on the old biddy on the tube who had a smokers hack and refused to put her hand in front of her mouth....I know it's good to share, but I'm pretty sure that germs aren't included in that...ah well...

Now I have a confession to make - I had a Burger King at Waterloo - yes I know, I'm sorry.... but in my defence I was ridiculously hungry and hadn't thought to bring anything with me for tea....need to think about that for Friday.. Mind you, I probably could have managed without the ice cream but I decided that I needed and deserved a treat after all my hard work reading 19th-century documents... Looking back, the diet coke was also a mistake - trying not to belch when sat in a jam-packed train carriage is *not* fun.... In the end I put my headphones in and pretended that the weird noises weren't coming from me.... 

So that's my day - enjoyable but knackering.... the cats were pleased to see me - well, they did want feeding...and now I'm chilling on the sofa....bed soon I think and a day off tomorrow... good oh...

Before I go, I just want to mention that today it's been 8 months since Jack Marshall passed away....it sounds a long time, it is a long time, but it feels like yesterday.....next month it would have been his 7th birthday and it sucks immensely that he isn't here to celebrate it.... I remember Jack everyday, and I know that many of you reading this do as well....We don't just remember him on 'anniversaries' but they are poignant; dates which signify how long he's been gone and events which he should be at..... My friend Flick posted the following poem on Jack's page and I want to share it here because it sums up how so many of us feel.. 

I Never Did That

I never had the first laugh or the last,
I never passed my exams or watched the weather forecast,
I never saw that nearly win or score the winning goal,
... I never passed my driving test or pay the Dartford toll,
I never drank sex on the beach,
Or said f off to those who teach,
I never saw my kids grow up,
Or see West Ham win the FA Cup,
I never learnt to split the atom in two
And write that poem titled "I love you",
I never went and saved a life,
Or go and marry a beautiful wife,
I never thought about tomorrow,
Or how much money do I need to borrow,
I never saw that film, that event, that book, that holiday,
I never learnt to kneel and pray,
But for all the other things I missed,
(There is lots of other stuff not on my list)
One thing I did get to do,
WAS TO HAVE A FULL LIFE OF LOVE FROM YOU.

Written by Gavin Strachen, whose son died at Gt Ormond Street. This poem is brilliant and was read out at the end of the 2012 Memorial Service.

Jack loved more, and was loved more, in his short life than so many people...he left a legacy and we will carry it on.... Fittingly today I paid my entry fee for the 2012 Great South 5k which I'll be walking in October... I'm going to be fund raising for Jack's Fund as as well as for Joseph Bowen's CLIC Sargent fund... I'll be setting up a sponsor page shortly, and will (of course) share it on here... Both Jack and Jobo inspire me, this is my way of showing that and giving something back.... Any and all support in doing this will be gratefully received...

xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment