Thursday 21 June 2012

There's a smile on my face......

Which given the start to my day is actually very surprising....but there you go.... See it started off with A refusing to go to school. Again. That's 4 out of 4 days this week...I just hope we don't get the full set. Really, that's something I can live without. Especially as I'm off to Aldershot for a research trip tomorrow..and getting to meet another member of Jack's Army for the first time as well..... fingers crossed that A behaves himself. He did go in eventually but not before totally stressing me out, and making my anxiety levels rocket... I'm so grateful that I had time to sit and calm down before I had to go out.

I'm also really glad that the reason I was going out was to go for a bike ride with my lovely friend S. It was just what I needed. We've been friends since our kids started school together 7, nearly 8 (scary), years ago and she knows A and I well enough to be able to help and advise. Luckily the weather was ok when we set off, and we had a lovely, leisurely ride around the Tipner end of Portsmouth, by the water. I was able to vent and talk through things which were worrying me, and cycling helped as well. However, once we were sitting on a bench the great British weather decided to stick its oar in and the temp dropped, and along came the rain. We decided to adjourn to her house for a refreshing cuppa - and boy did we need it as by the time we got there we were soaked and cold. Warming up with a cuppa was lovely. All in all it was the best way to spend a morning and just what I needed. I do feel bad that all the chat was focused pretty much on the stuff happening to me, but I'm grateful that I could off load to a trusted friend and it definitely helped. 

Then, this afternoon I got to talk to my mum after not being able to do so for two whole week *gasp* - I mean, how very dare she go on holiday...lol.... Seriously though, I tend to talk to my mum at least twice a week and I did miss being able to do, even though I was able to text her. An hour and a half later we finished our mammoth catch up call - during which time my Dad was able to carry out some DIY work around the house....isn't he good? It's good to be able to ask my Mum's advice about things and to know that she will always tell me the truth even if I don't like it.. I can't wait to see her and Dad at my cousin's wedding next week...

Finally I've been, again, reminded of the good and the bad side of the internet. Recently I became involved, on the periphery, of a group which was looking into a hoax on the 'net whereby a girl had set up an elaborate con surrounding a little boy with cancer. Although I'd been aware of this boy, I'd not become too involved so when it was revealed as a con I wasn't emotionally upset but I was angry - having seen how such things affect people who are really going through the awful events which cancer brings. Anyway, as it happens the unveiling/revealing of one lie has led to them finding more people who do this....some of whom make up such outlandish stories that it's hard to see why they were believed in the first place. Except that really that is down to the inherent goodness of most people, which brings me to my second point. I've been reminded, through this group and others, that people are nice, that they want to help, to support, to guide, and to be there even if it's not in person. When people take advantage of that then it's awful, because not only are they hurting those who are suffering already but they take away a bit of the trust from the rest of us. Or so you'd think - fortunately, it seems that most people can rise above this nasty behaviour and can see that supporting people is a good thing to do. That although it hurts to be conned, we can still support and find it in our hearts to care. I guess, schmaltzy, as it sounds I am heartened by that. 

Right, enough from me now.....I've got a friend coming round in a bit to, ahem, borrow my sack truck - she's off to the Isle of Wight festival and if I know K she's going to use the sack truck to pretend to be Hannibal Lecter at some point.....bless.... and if that statement makes you think "how on earth would she do that" - just remember the scene where he's trussed up and moved on what appears to be a sack truck and translate it to a muddy field with a very drunk K, with either toilet paper or tin foil or both wrapped around her head, stood on the truck saying "push me to the stage" and you've got part of the picture.....and if that scars you for life, well don't blame me :)

Night all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment