Tuesday 17 July 2012

It actually didn't rain today......................

Yes I know....shocking isn't it...we may even get a proper summer at some point as apparently the gulf stream has decided to move it's lazy bum to the correct place....woohoo.... 

Today has been a weird day.... A decided that he didn't feel well enough to go to school. I felt that he was probably well enough to go in and told him so. He still refused. So I rang the school and left a message about it, saying I felt that he could go in and asking them to call me back....guess what, I heard nothing! Maybe I should have rung them again but frankly I'm a little fed up of them not returning calls etc. and I figured that I did what I had to do. There was no way that I was pushing it with A, as I had no desire for a full on fight about it. I've been told repeatedly by the school that I should leave the issues over his attendance to them to deal with - so I am. To be fair to A he did spend the day in bed, and was very quiet all day. He's in bed now and I'll just have to hope that he goes in without issue tomorrow...we'll see....

Making things harder has been the fact that I really haven't felt well myself. It's as though I'm in the early stages of having a cold, but it's been like that since Sunday night (would have expected it to be a full blown cold by now)...I just feel lousy, all achy, sniffly, sore throat, headache and stuffy sinuses... Doing anything for any length of time (apart from sleeping) is difficult and frustratingly my PhD proposal is due in on Friday. I worked hard on it this morning and have written 908 words which isn't bad....I'm hoping that I'll feel better after a good nights sleep so that I can finish it tomorrow which will give me Thursday to revise it etc. after friends have checked it over for me. I also think that I need to get out of the house tomorrow, I'm going a little stir crazy being stuck inside...no matter how lousy I feel, a walk round the block will help.....

The other reason today has been weird is because I've been following as yet another hoaxer is revealed. For some time now I have been on the edges of a group which seems to have a knack for discovering when people are pretending to have cancer (and other illnesses). I was drawn into this when Warrior Eli was discovered to be a hoax: although I'd followed this child I hadn't been very involved in the situation so even though it was a shock to realise it was all a hoax (and a VERY intricate one at that - see here for the details http://warriorelihoax.wordpress.com/) I wasn't too hurt, more angry and then intrigued. The people who initially found it was a hoax then started a Facebook group in order to facilitate discussion, especially amongst those who had been really hurt by 'Eli'. Again, although 'Eli' hadn't impacted me too much personally, I had been really hurt at the end of 2011/beginning of 2012 by two people who hoaxed me (and others in the Jack Marshall group (including his parents))... The anger and pain of that has lessened but there is definitely still frustration because there were no consequences for the people who hurt so many. Anyway, being part of the hoax-busters group on Facebook (not so much an active member though) has helped...I've realised just how easy it is for people who want to scam, to do so and just how hard it can be to figure it out. Having said that, the initial outing of 'Eli' as a hoax has led to the discovery of several more; including the one today where a girl claimed to have had cancer 4 times, including two different brain tumours at the same time. Sadly she scammed a group who are producing a film about children with cancer, and the result has been recrimination and huge damage to a fantastically worthwhile project. I'm in awe, however, of the people who are really affected by this, and the way in which they have been able to handle it with class and dignity. When it doesn't affect you personally, it can be easy to just observe intellectually, but when you're watching the process unfold it is an education in just how evil some people can be. Equally this hasn't led to me automatically assuming that people are lying, I know that's not true and I refuse to be jaded to that extent.... Sadly there are people out there who want money, or maybe even just love and attention, and this is how they get it. I just think it's great that people are willing to investigate and to quietly and calmly try to end the hoaxes...and I should say that nothing leaves the group (which is private to the nth degree) until and unless people are really certain and even then it's all done by private message...likewise, what is posted on the blog is a small fraction of what has been discovered. 

Oh, and a friend of mine has just started a blog of her own, please go and take a look - http://suzzelizabethx.blogspot.co.uk/  

Right that's all from me tonight...sorry if it's been a bit weird but that's the way I'm feeling today.... hoping that tomorrow will be better and I'll be a little less weird (yeah yeah).....

Night all :)

1 comment: